My Opinion on Sibsets

We all learned in elementary school that the end components to words are called "suffixes". These include "um", as in periodic table elements potassium and calcium. Suffixes aren't just found in words but also in names. For instance, Lucy and Mercy both end in "cy", while Frederick and Patrick both end in "rick".

Names with similar suffixes can serve as alternatives to each other. Yet, I don't like the idea of siblings having names with the same suffix. I think it's too matchy. I'd say the same thing about siblings with names having the same prefix, as in Mabel and Mavis, James and Jacob. I have a sibling with a name containing the same prefix as my own name. Thus, I sometimes mishear my name as my sibling's name. 

I think sibling names need to be similar in style, but, as I described above, distinctive in sound. Sibling names can be in the same category as long as they don't sound interchangeable with each other. Pearl and Ruby, Jasper and Onyx are examples of such sibsets. However, these sibsets might need a third name that is natural in a different way. Tree name Hazel can pair with Pearl and Ruby; Cedar can be Jasper and Onyx's brother. 

Some people argue that it doesn't matter whether the sibling names are stylistically matched. However, I disagree. Let's say there's two sisters named Cora and Sadie. A third sister named Haven arrives. Because her name is much more contemporary than that of her sisters, Haven might feel left out. Then there's another family with two boys, Jack and Sam, and two girls, Nora and Alice. These siblings then get another brother named Ridge. Ridge's siblings all have sweet classics while his name is a modern nature name. Hence, Ridge, like Haven, feels as if he doesn't belong with his family. 

Nonetheless, some parents prefer names from different styles. Thus, they give each of their children names from distinct styles. Eclectic sibsets, as they are called, won't make any of the siblings feel left out because  all of their names are different from each other. For example, modern feminine Piper, unisex Justice, and traditional feminine Ruby could be sisters. The same can be true for modern masculine Cash, unisex Avery, and traditional masculine Miles. 

I list ten suggestions for sibling names at the end of every name post. Even though I intend this blog for everyone (not just parents), I am very passionate about names that go together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hazel

Predicted Top 100 Girls' Names 2022